“LADIES FIRST”

        For the last 60 or so years, I have been always gentlemanly. In my recent sojourns to the malls and public places, I was practically being pushed to walk ahead of my lady companions in walkways, escalators and elevators – to make me realize that I have become a weak senior citizen. I was also being offered the use of a walking stick! I look at the mirror and I understand.
        The changing of the guard has started. I am no longer in command physically, emotionally psychologically and perhaps, even economically.
        The 3 ladies that I have allowed to bully me around are my wife and my 2 daughters. I refuse to be pushed around by anyone else. Especially pushy is my 11-year old grandson, who does the easy route of getting his way by giving me a bear hug, which he learned from his jujitsu lessons.
        I have seen too many dear people leave this world, too soon; before ​ they even understood the great freedom that comes with aging.
        Only my dear roommate cares if I choose to watch TV, read or play on the computer​ until 4 AM, or sleep until noon the next day.  With the accompaniment of youtube, I sing to the nostalgic tunes of the 50s, 60s & 70s and undying songs of the original Ateneo Glee Club..
        I know I have become forgetful. But then again, some sad episodes of my life are just as well forgotten.  And those worth remembering, I eventually remember, especially with the help of my friend Google.
        Sure, over the years, I have known deep heartbreak. But broken hearts are ​ what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart ​never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being human.
        I am so blessed to have lived long enough to allow my head to go bald, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep ​ furrows on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died ​ before their hair could turn silver.
        As one gets older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.  I even ​ think I've earned the right to be wrong.

        I like being old because age has set me free. I ​like the unobtrusive person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but ​ while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have ​ been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall dance and run every time I feel like it – until, of course, I feel the huffing and puffing and the weakness in my legs. 

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.