IS IT WORTH IT?

        
       Yesterday I consulted my favorite Opthalmologist at the Shangrila Plaza because of my increasing problem with my eyes. It was not surprising to be advised to have an intraocular lens implant due to cataract. But what startled and started me seriously thinking was the cost of such hi-tech procedure, which will not only bring back my original eyesight but will allow me to be totally free of reading eyeglasses. At my ripe age of 80, is the “bionic” procedure worth the expense?
        As I sit in front of my television, flustered trying to figure out how to use this 42-button remote control, even after my grandson had given directions, I realize that he still needs me. He is eager to know more about his favorite show, World Wars, over History channel. I was even being asked about my experience  during the FIRST World War!
        Reading and writing have so far kept me away from age-related dementia.
        Most of our current ill-advised voters or straying leaders have no personal experiences of those past events, but most of my peers do.
        As modern people focus on how to best manage and facilitate the aging process, one should not forget that the older generations still has an invaluable contribution to make to society.
        I’ve seen much value in my friends in their 70s and 80s who are still active as lawyers, doctors and businessmen. I’ve also seen a lot more value in the exemplary work and life of my Jesuit high school teacher who is 10 years my senior.
        Older people are better at synthesizing information and experience, providing a particular type of insight that cannot be found in books or on Google.
        The wisdom gained from the personal experience of living through events such as World War II,  Martial Law years and the succeeding people power bloodless revolution cannot be learned from secondary sources alone.
        Most of our current voters or leaders have no personal experiences of those things, but older Pinoys do. Unfortunately, all of those horrible situations could still come back. Even if they don’t come back, we have to be able to plan and warn younger generations on the basis of the experience of what they were like.
        Although many things can be easily looked up in modern society via the Internet or books, there is value in knowledge that comes from personal experience rather than the World Wide Web.  Seniors should be out and about sharing their memories, as they are the keepers of little facts such as which exotic fruit tree is edible or how to catch the best fish during food scarcity.

        I therefore have decided to invest further on my eye surgery so that, with God’s help, I can continue to tell and write my stories on how to care for the future of our grandchildren and how to keep them safe in our beleaguered country. 

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.